Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Mini Winery Tour Fun!!

So for all of that don't know..Southern Illinois has a great Wine Trail avaible to go on. I know who would have thought that around here that we could actually grow grapes and make some awesome wine. It is a great way to spend a free day, especially with all of the tasting that you can do at each winery!
So on Monday, me, my mom and my aunt went to a few of them and spent most of the day enjoying the scenery, the wine and the company of each other.

Our first stop was Von Jakob. This was the first time there and they have some pretty awesome wine. The one that my mom and I liked the best was the Jonathan Apple Wine. It taste like you are "eating" an apple. It was so good...we had about a half of a bottle between the two of us.

So after that we decided that we should get something to eat before we went to any more. So we headed over to Giant City Lodge and had some good food there. After we had a great lunch it was time for stop number 2.

The second stop was at Rustle Hill Winery. I have to say that this is the best one that we went to that day and the best one that I have ever been to myself! The view is awesome and so is the wine. But the best thing that you can actually get there..is the Sangria!! If I didn't have to drive that day...I think that I could of had been able to drink a whole pitcher of it! But I stuck to only having a single glass plus whatever I tasted as well. The wine that I liked the best was Traminette. Now that I think about it, I should of gotten a bottle for later...oh well, just means an other reason to go out there again, hehe



The third and final stop was at Starview Winery. I have to say that this wasn't my favorite but it was pretty nice. They did have a few wines that I liked. They also had a Sangria that tasted like it was hawaiian punch but not as good as Rustle Hill. But the best thing that they did offer was Wine Slushies!! Who would have thought! It was perfect to end with that since it was so hot that day and the drink was so cold! I did find to wines that I liked and they were, Bellastar and the Concord one.

The wonderful wine slushie


So I say if you should ever happen to end up in Southern Illinois, you should stop by any of the wineries that we have around here.

2 comments: