Tuesday, June 16, 2009

past week happenings and a little bit extra

So here is an review of last week and this week so far.

Monday:

We had our monthly DEP meeting that started at 1630. Everything was going pretty well until Petty Officer Jones started getting onto the group. So first thing that he got onto us was that not everybody was calling him or Chief Hope every Monday like we are suppose to. We have to do ths just to say that everything was fine over the weekend and we didn't get any tickets or anything like that. So after another talk about him saying that since we all consider that we are adults that we need to start acting like ones.

*Just a little side note..I am one of the oldest person in the group and have only been it since March and needless to say I know most of the information that we should know.*

So back to the meeting: So at this meeting we had some other Petty Officers that are from the same area or something like that. They come to the meetings to ask the recruits some questions or whatever just to check that our recruiters are doing what they are suppose to be doing. So they decided to ask a few of the recruits some questions that are about to leave for bootcamp in a week or so. Needless to say..they didn't know everything that they should of known. Not so great on their part.

After that, we all lined up and was asked to say one of the 11 general orders. So Jones came around and just picked a number and what they were suppose to do was say it from memory. But most of them couldn't do this and used the poster that was on the wall that had all of them listed on it.

So when it came to my turn...and I was last..one of the other Petty Oficer, knew for some reason that I must of known that I knew my stuff. So he told me to close my eyes so that I couldn't use the poster and thank God I knew which one he picked for me to say. So some of the other recruits was trying to get Jones to give me one of the harder ones to say, but he didn't haha.

So needless to say that the visiting Petty Officers were not thrilled about our performance. Thats whe they took us out behind the4 building where the office is located and lined us up. Let the push-ups begin. If the questions that he asked and there were a few people that could't answer them, we all as a group had to do them.I could of hurt some of the other DEPers!

After that was all over, we continued our meeting. So then we broke up into teams to answer questions about Ranks. So if you answered incorrectly, we had to do 5 push ups and if we got it correct we could give another team our pushups to do. Needless to say...my team wasn't that great and we got to do a lot more push ups. woo hoo!

So also at this meeting I was put in the position of RPOC, since apparently I am mature enough to get things done and be in charge of the other recruiters for the meetings. I have to get them lined up in ranks and make sure that everything is done before the meeting starts. So I am pretty nervous/excited about doing this...maybe except yelling out orders since I am not that loud to begin with lol So I will let you all know how this goes the next meeting.

REST OF THE WEEK: went pretty well. I worked Thursday thru Saturday and it was pretty much uneventful.

SUNDAY: Met up with my bestie in Metropolis to go out to eat. Had a great dinner with her and her parents at Olive Garden. It was yummo!! Also before we went to dinner had a nice time just catching up on what has been going on since we last hung out when the semester was over.

Monday (yesterday): didn't get the good news that I wanted to hear. The Navy is only going to repay one of my loans that I have. The one that I really wanted to get repayed they won't and of course it is my largest one that I have..go figure! So I guess once I get out of bootcamp and actually start working I will get it refinace with USAA since they have pretty good interest rates.If anybody has any other suggestions about this that would be great. To have them paid by the Navy they have to be a Title IV loan and I can't seem to find any that I can use to refiance.

I know that this is pretty long post...so thank you for getting this far :) Hope you all have a great rest of the week!

until later,

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, my work hours haven't gotten terrible yet, but they're about to! I'll let you know how terrible they actually are. :)

    Your DEP story makes me laugh... it sounds like all DEP meetings are the same no matter where you live, because mine were the same way. Exactly the same. Only I was loud and after I "accidently" put my shoulder into a recruiter's gut during a "friendly" game of DEP flag football... all the 18-year old boys were afraid of me after that, so they listened. :)

    You know that once you get out of boot camp you can get 6% on any pre-Navy debt that you have? It's illegal for anyone to refuse it to you. It's called the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that sounds pretty hard core! Sorry about your loan...hopefully you get that all squared away. ;) I love Olive Garden! It's super good. I used to go there with my grandparents all of the time before they moved! Happy Thursday.

    ReplyDelete